1) The Age of Discovery was ignited in the 15th century, and triggered one of the most significant initiatives in history, with the establishment of a connection between the Old World and the New World.
2) Giovanni de Plano Carpini preceded Marco Parlo in securing a trade route to Mongolia in 1241.
3) The explorations of Marco Polo were conducted throughout Asia from 1271 to 1295, in which he was a guest at the Yuan Dynasty court of Kublai Khan
4) An advancement in navigational instruments and the development of new ship designs in the form of the caravel, acted as catalysts in facilitating the Age of Discovery.
5) Henry the Navigator, son to João de Aviz, was able to initiate his conquests in exploration, through funding that he had secured from wealthy monarchs and the church.